Australia is the country with most world cup trophy in cricket.
The nation was missing a Twenty20 World in their display. In year 2021 they have won their maiden Twenty20 world cup for the first time. Professionally Australia has been the most successful cricket team in ICC events altogether and in total have won 6 six world cups and 2 Champions trophy.
World cup wins by Australia in cricket
- World cup 1987 (India-Pakistan). Country won their first world cup title in 1987 which was hosted by India – Pakistan. Captained by Allan Border the Australian team played their final against India in southern city of India, Chennai and won the match by 1 run. The Australian team scored 270 runs for 6 wicket and gave a target of 271 to the host. India scored 269 for the lose of 10 wicket. Geoff Marsh scored 110 in 141 and Craig McDermott took 4 wicket for Australia ahead of Steve Waugh who took 2 wickets. Geoff Marsh was announced the player of the match.
- World cup 1999 (England). Australia won their 2nd title in 1999 World cup in Lord’s. Captained by Steve Waugh Aussies bowled out Pakistan under the score of 132 and chased the target in 20.1 overs with the lose of only 2 wickets. Shane Warne spelled 4/33 and was announced player of the match. Adam Gilchrist with his 54 remained the highest run scorer.
- World cup 2003 (South Africa). 2nd consecutive World cup win for Australia and third title win came in 2003, South Africa against India. The captain Ricky Ponting remained the only centurion in the final. Ricky Ponting scored 140 for Australia following by Damien Martyn who score 88. Aussies batted first and put up a target of 360 on board for the loss of only 2 wicket. India managed only to score 234 before they bowled out in 39.2 overs. Glenn McGrath took 3 wicket followed by Brett Lee and Andrew Symonds who took 2 wickets each.
- World cup 2007 (West Indies). Hat-trick win in World cup and the only country with a hat-trick world cup win; came in 2007, West Indies when they beat Sri Lanka by 53 runs D/L method. Australia batted first and scored 281 for the loss of 4 wickets. Target was revised for Sri Lanka as match was reduced to 36 overs per side. Sri Lanka scored 215 for the loss of 8 wickets. Adam Gilchrist scored 149 highest in this match. See full scorecard.
- World cup 2015 (Australia – New Zealand). Australia won their fifth world cup in 2015 when two hosts played each other in final match. Batting first New Zealand managed to score 183 all out, in reply of that Australia achieved the target in their 33.1 overs for the loss of 3 wickets. Michael Clarke (c) scored 74 for his team. Mitchell Johnson and James Faulkner got 3 wickets each followed by Mitchell Starc with 2 wickets.
- Twenty 20 World cup 2021 (India, played in UAE, Oman). In recent Twenty20 World cup, Australia lift their maiden Twenty20 world cup and in total their 6th win in all world cups. Batting first New Zealand scored 172 in their 20 overs for the loss of 4 wickets. In response Australia achieved the target in 18.5 overs with the loss of 2 wickets. Kane Williamson scored highest 85(48) for New Zealand and Mitchell Marsh scored 77(50) not out for Australia.
Australia is also two times champion in ICC Champions Trophy in year 2006 (India) and 2009 (South Africa).
READ ALSO – 15 Times Common Sense Failed Humanity