Like any other part of our body, our brain is made up of tissues, which require certain minerals and vitamins to function properly. A healthy brain is the one which get its minerals and vitamins in proper quantity through a balanced diet and proper care through exercise and yoga. There are some foods which are rich in those minerals and vitamins that can boost your intelligence and are often referred as brain food.
Nutritional deficiencies have been shown to contribute to the development of psychiatric disorders, age-related cognitive decline, and developmental disorders. It is important that you ensure that your brain is getting the right kind of nutrients.
The 6 of the essential vitamins and minerals for a healthy brain include
- Thiamine(B1). It plays a role in the conduction of nerve impulses, a severe lack of this vitamin can lead to Korsakoff syndrome, a chronic memory disorder
- FOLIC ACID (B9). Folic acid plays an important role in the synthesis of amino acids and the formation of nerve tissue.
- ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C). Vitamin C is important in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter dopamine and it also protects the brain against oxidative stress.
- CALCIUM. It plays a central role as a nerve cell messenger. It also regulates neurotransmission and controls nerve excitability.
- MAGNESIUM. Magnesium is important for the conversion of many B vitamins into their active form.
- ZINC. Alterations in zinc homeostasis were found in Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer sufferers.
Considering this we can conclude that a food to be considered as brain food or the best food for our brain must contain the above mentioned vitamins and minerals. Having said that lets find out, what the 10 best best food for the brain to boost your intelligence.
What are the 10 best foods for the brain?
- Almond and Nuts
- Spinach, broccoli, and other leafy greens
- Whole Grains
- Dark chocolate
1. Almond and Nuts. Soaked almonds can never be overstated when discussing brain health. It is full of vitamin E, which is known to preserve memory longer by boosting alertness, and preventing cognitive decline. Soaked Almond are considered as the best food for the brain and are often suggested by Asian parents to their kids, for the complete growth of their brain and intelligence.
Vitamin E is the known as the barrier of dementia diseases like Alzheimer’s. Further almonds contain omega-3 and six other fatty acids which boost intellectual health. Almonds also help in increasing brain acetylcholine levels, and are an important source of essential nutrients, such as tocopherol, folate, mono- and poly-unsaturated fatty acids, and polyphenols which are known to delay and prevent the decline in the brain capacity due to aging.
2. Avocado helps in improving blood supply and oxygen to your brain. It also contain high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, which protect nerve cells in the brain and improve brain intelligence.
3. Salmon Salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which are crucial for the growth of brain and is a best food for brain. Research finds that omega-3 deficiency can lead to fatigue, poor memory, and mood swings; your body can’t make these essential fatty acids, so it is important to get them through food.
4. Spinach, broccoli, and other leafy greens. Dark-hued leafy greens are nutritional powerhouses. Spinach has been found to slow age-related problems and cognitive deficits. Also, its high levels of iron help to restore energy and improve the function of your red blood cells.
5. Turmeric is a dark-yellow spice. Not only is it a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory substance, but it can pass through the blood-brain barrier to enter the brain directly. Turmeric has been associated with improved memory, less depression, and the growth of new brain cells.
6. Whole Grains such as bread, pasta, barley, brown rice, oatmeal, and bulgur wheat contain vitamin E, which is used to protect and preserve healthy cells. In protecting these cells, vitamin E preserves brain function and prevents neurodegeneration. Whole grains are rich in fiber which also adds to the overall growth of the body.
7. Blueberries contain a compound that has both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. This means that blueberries can reduce inflammation, which reduces the risk of brain aging and neurodegenerative disease. Furthermore, antioxidants have also been found to aid in communication between brain cells. If blueberries aren’t your favorite berry, try raspberries or strawberries. Berries are are considered as the best food not only just for brain but overall health. All berries have potent combinations of antioxidants that will improve memory and motor coordination.
8. Eggs are rich in B vitamins and a nutrient called choline. B vitamins help to slow cognitive decline and deficiencies in B vitamins have been associated with depression and dementia. Thus the food that contain good amount of B vitamins are the best foods for the brain intelligence and capacity. The body uses choline to create the neurotransmitters responsible for mood and memory.
9. Beans are often overlooked, but they can be proved the best food for the brain (and they’re economical). They contain an ideal blend of complex carbohydrates and protein; this allows them to be digested slowly, which ultimately helps stabilize glucose levels and curb fatigue.
10. Dark Chocolate, Harvard doctors say dark chocolate makes you smarter. The research team studied the benefits of cocoa – specifically flavanol, a natural compound in cocoa beans – and determined that it can increase memory and thinking abilities.
Read More – 16 Times When People Knew How To Wear A Tattoo